Instagram

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Reaching Out To Children


I was jarred out of my thoughts by the ringing of the telephone!  Discouraged that even in my role as a children's advocate I was not able to do more for children, I picked up the receiver.  Then I heard, "Hi!  This is Jeannie!"

Jeannie, in her forties now, was 13 when tragedy struck.  During a drive-by shooting, someone fired a shotgun into the house where she lived.  Jeannie was wounded in the eye.  Because she had no health insurance, she was turned away by hospital after hospital.  By the time her parents found one that would accept her, it was too late.  She lost her eye.

I was outraged by the lack of access to health care for this child.  Jeannie and I become good friends, and I was eventually able to help her get a prosthetic eye.  She went on to finish school, have a family, and become employed by the Department of Human Services.

Talking to Jeannie that day, I was reminded of how much good can come from helping a child at the right time.  The help I gave her was an investment in the future and in a wonderful mother and productive citizen.


By : Marian Wright Edelman


(From : 'Daily Word' magazine by Silent Unity, a world wide prayer ministry) 

O LORD, TAKE MY LOVE

O Lord, take my love, and let it flow in fullness of devotion to Thee;
O Lord, take my hands, and let them work incessantly for Thee;
O Lord, take my soul, and let it be merged in One with Thee;
O Lord, take my mind and thoughts, and let them be in tune with Thee;
O Lord, take my everything, and let me be an instrument to work for Thee.

***Click on the above picture to watch the video on 'PRECIOUS MOMENTS WITH BHAGAVAN SRI SATHYA SAI BABA'

***Click on the above picture to read my story on 'THE DAY I MET MY LORD, BHAGAVAN SRI SATHYA SAI BABA'

Baba & I 峇峇与我' - Interview with Sister Adeline Teh (Malaysia)

Interview by Souljourns

Total Pageviews

Followers